Damian Wayne Goes Solo

Diana Mendoza, Staff Writer

Recently DC announced their plans for a new solo comic series starring 13-year-old Damian Wayne also known as the fifth and current person to use the Boy Wonder’s identity, otherwise known as “Robin”. DC Comics wrote in their blog stating that the new series will feature new mysteries for Robin to explore, a new supporting cast, brand new characters, and fights lots of fights! Part of Robin”s journey includes facing his mother, Talia al Ghul. 

For those who might not have known, Damian Wayne is a “recently unknown” addition to the Bat-Family and has been Robin ever since he first beat the title out of Tim Drake in 2006. In a recent issue, Detective Comics #1033, Damian Wayne has decided he’s outgrown the title of Robin after some increasing tension between himself, his dad Bruce Wayne, and the Teen Titans over the years and ultimately decides to cut ties with the two. The split is made clear when Bruce offers Damian a chance to reconcile after an argument the two had in which Damian refuses Bruce’s offer and decides on choosing a different path for himself.

Although Damian isn’t the first Robin to go solo, his journey is headed down a more ominous path than Nightwing or Red Hood ever took. Damian’s new identity will be explored in a two-part backup story titled “Demon or Detective” which begins in Batman #106 and ends in Detective Comics #1034, both are planned to be released sometime in April 2021.

When asked for his thoughts on what might become of the comic series Angel Contreras, a sophomore, responded with,“I think it’s a good idea, they can develop his character without having to rely on Batman.” Contreras added, “I hope that Robin will be interesting enough for other solo comics. It needs action. When franchises try to make a spin-off it needs to do well.” Contreras went into further detail, ”I remember when Star Wars did a solo spin-off but it was greatly criticized…Honestly people find way too much stuff to criticize.” he added. “In the end, I hope this paves the way for more solo stories of other Batman characters, maybe even villains,” Contreras concluded.

Valentina Herrera, a sophomore, had also been asked her thoughts and any expectations she had for the upcoming series to which she responded, “I’m really excited that there’s going to be a new Robin series coming out especially with all the other Batman and Robin things being released, DC has been releasing pure goldmines with all the new shows and comics like world-building and the characters in their design, and everything so I’m very excited.” Herrera added, “I think I have really high expectations due to the Harley Quinn series that came out recently and I think that Robin should live up to that series or at least try to be better than that series.”  “I really want a storyline that just flows and doesn’t have filler in it,” Herrera concluded.

I’m really pumped for the series and I’m hoping that the story will explore Damian’s character more in-depth. Just like Herrera had mentioned, I’m also hoping the storyline flows well and isn’t made up of filler for the most part. I really hope this series does well since I’ve been a big fan of DC ever since I was a youngster. It’s just really cool to me that we’ll be getting more content for some of the members of the Bat-Family. Just as Contreras had mentioned, it would be really cool if this series does good enough that we could potentially get more solo series such as this one where we can explore more characters in the DC universe. I’m just really excited for new characters and the cool new fights that are yet to come! Make sure to check it out, look for the issue arriving in stores and digitally on April 27, 2021!