National Honors Society Collecting Jeans for the Needy

Mark Molabola, Staff Writer

Starting in the month of January, National Honors Society has been participatimg in the campaign, Teens for Jeans. NHS annually hosts the drive in Rancho and collects jeans, which get donated to a local Aeropostale and then to a homeless shelter.

“We do Teens for Jeans because jeans give a sense of normality to individuals and when those in need ask for a certain piece of clothing, one that they ask the most for is a simple pair of jeans,” said NHS President Janna Valdez.

The “Teens for Jeans” clothing drive was started due to the millions of homeless people who are in need of jeans. This program grew and now is a nationwide drive carried out in schools and communities. The main purpose is to supply homeless people durable clothing which they can wear, provide them the sense of being normal and not different from their peers.

“We should be supporting this program because it’s for a good cause and those old jeans in your room could make an impact in the life of people in need,” said sophomore Czarina Go.

Donating jeans not only helps the people in need but it’s also an efficient way of cleaning out old clothing from your drawers or closets. This also gives the donor a feeling of satisfaction knowing that someone else in need will be able to make use of their old jeans.

“Though it’s true that I don’t physically benefit from donating, I do get the feeling of being able to help someone with my jeans,” said sophomore Mark Noche.

Donation for jeans will be end on the third of February, Friday. Only regular jeans are accepted, no jeggings or other types of bottoms. Donations are accepted in Mrs. Kasuyama’s room at C308.

Overall, “Teens for Jeans” is just another example of community service. Outdoor community service isn’t the only way to help and give back to our community, simple donations such as this can make a big difference for those who need it.