ITEP Provides Juniors with Internship Preparation

Agustin Chavez, Staff Writer

International Trade Education Programs (ITEP), a non-profit organization visited Rancho Dominguez to prepare juniors from the yellow academy (S.T.E.A.M) for an upcoming summer internship program on November 2nd, 2016. They are expected to visit six more times.

Students involved in the first workshop were refreshed about what to expect for the internship. They learned the basics of writing a good resume, and the steps to writing a prominent cover letter to increase the chances of getting accepted.

“They really went into depth with the details and structure you can put to make a good resume, and a cover letter to be accepted for the internship. It’s also a great way to prepare for other internships or jobs you could be applying to in the future,” said junior Jacky Gomez.

The ITEP internship program’s purpose is to assist students with hands-on work experience opportunities in business or any other field. In order to prepare students, activities are setup to include monthly readiness workshops and field trips to networking events. Networking is a critical need for students, especially when you are looking for jobs after high school. By networking, you are establishing connections and building relationships, so you can cohesively ensure a better success for job applications in the future.

The monthly readiness workshops cover necessary skills, to increase your chances of being accepted in the ITEP internship or any other internship for that matter. Students are introduced to great communication skills, mock interviews, and are given directions to building a strong reputation.

“We went into detail on how we can build our brand, which is basically making yourself look presentable. I’ve had experience with interviews and internships before which went successfully, so I’m hoping I will do great so I could be accepted,” said junior Kyla Akens.

This is a great learning experience to understand the tools that can be used when applying for a job. Employers in any situation will always be looking at your reputation, to ensure if the certain qualifications are present in an individual. Employers want to see if an individual is adaptable, dependable, confident, and a great group worker.

With the eligibility requirements of 2.5 G.P.A, and a minimum absence of one out of the seven workshops, the yellow academy junior students will take the challenge and work hard to be accepted in the internship.