Girls Volleyball Wins Opener Against Gardena

Jowell Ramos, Staff Writer

The Lady Lobos first game against Gardena was intense. Junior varsity, played first, and as the game progressed, the girls started getting comfortable playing their first game.

The game went back and forth during the first set. They ended up tied 23-23. Destiny Romero got the ace giving the Lobos a, 24-23 lead. The Lady Lobos, then won the set, 25-23, leaving them with a one 1-0, set lead.

The intensity rose as the second set began, the set remained close, until Gardena pulled ahead by four points leaving the score 14-18.

The Lobos didn’t give up, they landed their serves and forced Gardena to make mistakes. The Lady Lobos eventually tied the score, at 24-24. Destiny Romero went up to serve again, and with her serving they gain two points, snatching the second set for the Lady Lobos.

The whole crowd was excited as they got their break to start the set off. As the first set started, the girls seemed quite nervous, but as the set progressed, they started to get comfortable. The set was competitive as the Lady Lobos lead by one point with a score of 24-23. Then the Panthers served, and the Lady Lobos took advantage as Junior Natalie Muratalla sets to Senior Precious Akinrimisi, killing the ball on Gardena’s court. Finishing the first set 25-23.

“The first set was really close, some of our passes were all over the place and we didn’t communicate that well but good thing we won that set,” said, Senior Precious Akinrimisi.

During the second set, Sophomore Tatiana Frazier serves getting four ace serves creating an early lead for the Lady Lobos. The score 15-11 as Gardena for a timeout. The Lobos didn’t want them to have a of lead, they were demolishing the set with their teamwork and communication. They finished the second set taking it 25-17.

“I feel we played much better and smoother during this set, we were still quite confused with our rotations but we really need to work on perfecting the passes for our setter,” says, Junior Elizabeth Torres.

In the third set, the Lobos were pumped with confidence and integrity. It seemed like Gardena didn’t have a chance against the Lady Lobos during the third set. Even though they are a new team, their teamwork was great. Every hitter was killing the ball, passes looked very accurate and their communication began to kick in. The Lobos demolished the Panthers in their last set 25-7, winning against Gardena     3-0, in straight sets.