New Biliteracy Program Offered to Bilingual Students

Adrian Frias, Sports Editor

Being bilingual has always been an advantage. This had been considered as a special skill specifically in resumes, but now, this can also be emphasized in school. Here in Rancho Dominguez Prep, the majority of students have been exposed to a second language either at home or in their high school spanish courses.

This Biliteracy program was instituted by LAUSD, and this is Rancho Dominguez’s first year recognizing students who graduate biliterate according to district set standards. This program will be shown on high school transcripts, making you more competitive for college as it adds a seal on your high school diploma.

To qualify for the program you don’t just have to be literate in a second language, you also have to be fluent in English. The English requirement can be fulfilled by passing the standarized English test high school proficiency test your junior year or by getting a three or higher on the AP English Language and Composition exam. Although, to pass the second language part you’d have to take four years of a second language or get a three or higher on an AP foreign language exam.

The language taught here at Rancho Dominguez Prep is Spanish; that’s if you take four years of Spanish. Counselors are now working to make this a possibility by adding a Spanish 4 class, but for now, AP Spanish is the only option.

“I’m very happy to see students getting acknowledged for knowing more than one language, especially now my AP Spanish students have another reward.. This is also something thats valuable especially when they are interviewing for jobs and applyng to colleges… making them a more diverse applicant” said Delia Martinez, Spanish advisor.