LA College Promise offers Free One Year of College

Mark Molabola, Staff Writer

From the graduating class of 2017 onward, LAUSD graduates will have the opportunity to attend one free year of community college. On September 14, Jill Biden, an American educator, and LA’s mayor, Eric Garcetti, launched a program called L.A. College Promise, which is part of President Obama’s 2015 call for a national effort to make higher education more affordable to everyone. This program will give LAUSD graduates a free year of community college in the LA district.

“There isn’t a city in this country that shouldn’t join the president, the vice president, the first lady and the second lady’s call to make community college free in America,” said Garcetti during Wednesday’s launch.

However, there are requirements to become eligible for this program. The two known qualifications as of right now are, first, the student has to graduate from an LAUSD high school or an LAUSD designated charter school. Second, the student must enroll full-time in college, with a minimum of twelve units.

“It’s a great idea to have a free year of community college because this will motivate students to take a higher level of education without worrying about loans. This was a smart move since it will help a lot of students who want to go to college but can’t because of low income. Even it it’s just a year, it can push students to strive for their goals,” said sophomore Czarina Go.

To implement and make the program a reality, money or funds was an issue. The program is expected to cost at least three million dollars in its first year. Our LA mayor is to pay the about two million dollars which he raised, and he expects the LA Community College District to pay for the rest.

“This is a smart decision because it can get students to believe that college can be affordable and especially for those in the border deciding if they would go to college or not, this could be the deciding factor,” said college counselor Gilbert Viveros.

The program is another step forward to make higher levels of education more affordable.

“This program is a great opportunity for many motivated students out there but I feel like there will also be many students who will take this for granted just like high school,” said senior Precious Chibueze.

LA College Promise will help many students strive for a higher education without the stress of loans.