Students Take AP Calculus Online

Mario Melendez, Illustrator Editor

Last year, eight students signed up to get AP Calculus class but it was not enough to qualify for a full class. Mrs. Lew, Mrs. Caceras, and Mrs. Storey researched to see if they could offer the class by Apex or Ingenuity through an online system. The District then approved online courses for AP Calculus through the Apex curriculum. Our Local District South purchased the onsite licenses for our use. The way AP Calculus class will function is in the form of self-study by watching the lessons online and communicating with a teacher only through emails. After watching, they will do work for every topic to practice on what they learned and there will be due dates with due dates indicating when the individual should have already finished a certain amount of work. In addition, like in any other class, there will be mid terms and final test.

Brianna Robiertson, senior, said “It feels weird because there are a few of us and I am used to a big classroom setting. I’d prefered if it was an actual class because I can ask the teacher my questions. Overall, I think I’ll do well with the help of my peers.”

Mr. Blazer, math teacher and class mentor said “I believe the students will succeed because I had them in previous years and they were all hard worker. I didn’t had them in Pre-Calculus but knowing them, I believe they can pass the class. Although, it would have been nice if it were a blend program where you take the online class and have a teacher teach the material as well. The advantage of the online though is that you could pause and repeat. The disadvantage, however, is that you can’t ask for elaboration”

AP Calculus gives the students a competitive status in college, especially among those who wish to take a major in the mathematical field. As a bonus. students will be step ahead in the ACT, SAT and other future math placement tests.

Collin Santiago, senior, said “All I know is that I’m going to suffer more than most students due to some circumstances. I think I will do well in Calculus as long as I study more, and don’t procrastinate.”